More than $500K raised for boy thrown from Mall of America balcony

More than $500K raised for boy thrown from Mall of America balcony

Police still do not believe there was any connection between the family and Aranda. "Immediately, my thoughts were: how can something like this happen?"

He said: "We do have prior contacts with this individual". Police are not releasing his name. He added that he couldn't go into detail about the child's condition.

According to Bloomington Police via the Pioneer Press, the child and attacker were not known to one another and investigators are still "actively trying to figure out why this occurred".

Aranda was arrested on July 4, 2015, after police said he matched the description of a man throwing things off the upper level of the Mall of America to the lower level.

Twenty-four-year-old Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda, of Minneapolis, is jailed on a suspicion of attempted homicide charge.

"This is a horrific situation", Potts said. I just can't imagine someone doing that to her!

Aranda, who lives in the Bloomington area, has a police record, including several arrests and convictions stemming from incidents at the Mall of America.

Witnesses said Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda, 24, either pushed or threw the 5-year-old boy on Friday morning from the third level of the Bloomington mall's interior to the first-level floor almost 40 feet below, police said.

Aranda was born in Chicago, where Cook County court documents showed a 2014 arrest for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon at a Golden Nugget restaurant in the city. He had also swept his hand across a display table at the beauty store Bare Minerals, breaking lip gloss containers and shot glasses, police said. Aranda at one point was banned from the mall.

Court records show the suspect was charged following two previous run-ins with police and security officers at the megamall. Aranda had smashed five computers and keyboards "beyond repair" after he read something on Facebook that infuriated him, the man told authorities. A case summary said Aranda beat a restaurant employee with a telephone when she threatened to call police about his bill, and pulled a knife on a bystander who intervened. The woman laughed off the request, records show, and sat down inside. When management intervened, Aranda grew enraged.

Witnesses said the child landed on the first level and the suspect took off running before he was apprehended by officers who took him into custody at the transit station of the mall, police said.

Related Articles